Built in 1922 by architect Hugo Frank Kuehne, this bungalow offered a spectacular view of the river below. The three-acre tract in Travis Heights was the home of O.O. Norwood, a land developer and builder of the historic Norwood Building.
Austin's Parks and Recreation Department purchased the Norwood Estate property at 1012 Edgecliff from a development company that had plans to build a condominium project there. Efforts to restore the property are under consideration.
The Pease Mansion
The Pease Mansion at 6 Niles Road was built in 1853 by Abner Cook, builder of the Governor's Mansion, for James B. Shaw, State Comptroller. Retiring Governor Elisha Pease purchased the property in 1857 for his family. Also known as "Woodlawn," the Pease plantation covered some 350 acres. It is reputed that in 1865 General Custer and his men camped on the grounds of the mansion.
The Greek Revival structure had been occupied by the Pease family for 100 years when it was purchased by the retiring Governor Allan Shivers in 1957. The acreage has been substantially reduced and the elegant home now rests on a little more than 4 acres. The Shivers later gave the home to the University of Texas, which sold the structure to the State of Texas.
Mrs. Batts stands in the gardens of her home at 15th St. and Windsor. The Mediterranean-style two-and-one-half story home was built on the hill above Shoal Creek in 1924 for Judge R. L. Batts and his family. Judge Batts was very active in both legal and political arenas, serving in the Texas House of Representatives, as assistant attorney general of Texas, and professor of law at the University of Texas.
Built in 1898 for physician Thomas Dudley Wooten and his wife, Henrietta Goodall, this brick mansion stands at the corner of Rio Grande and Martin Luther King. Dr. Wooten was a member of the first Board of the University of Texas Regents and later served as its president. Mrs. Wooten was one of the original members of the Violet Crown Garden Club.
The landscaping of the Wooten home reflected the splendor of the era. Baskets of lush green ferns hung from the Ionic columns on the principle fašade of the home, while the garden courtyard allowed for outdoor entertaining.