JavaScript must be enabled to display this page properly.

Austin Treasures: Online Exhibits from the Austin History Center Austin Treasures Home Austin History Center Home
Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Hyde Park: Life on the Avenues Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Detail from PICA 02628

As Hyde Park grew, several businesses moved to the neighborhood. Ramsey's Austin Nursery, located just north of 45th Street and described as the largest nursery west of the Mississippi, employed many Hyde Park residents. Small grocery stores conveniently scattered throughout the area sold canned goods and staples such as coffee, sugar, and cornmeal. The main business district was located on Guadalupe and had a barber shop, cafés, drug store and other shops which catered both to residents of the neighborhood and to visitors to the State Lunatic Asylum across the street.

Photograph of Cash-Carry store on Duval The Cash-Carry store and Duval Filling Station at 43rd and Duval were built in the 1920s. The name Cash-Carry indicated that the old system of buying groceries on credit and having them delivered would not be followed.
[PICA 25623] enlarge image
Photograph of Mr. Ramsey working at desk J. Murray Ramsey works at his desk at Ramsey's Austin Nursery about 1930. The nursery, which occupied over 400 acres north and west of 45th Street, was the largest west of the Mississippi and employed many Hyde Park residents.
[PICB 13483] enlarge image
Photograph of interior of cafe showing customer seated at counter The Ellis family operated the Ellis Café on Guadalupe for years, staying open from six in the morning until ten at night. The café even remained open on holidays, with the family gathering there to celebrate.
[PICB 13478] enlarge image

Recreation Street Life Elisabet Ney home Churches and Schools This page: Business previous page next page