JavaScript must be enabled to display this page properly.

Austin Treasures: Online Exhibits from the Austin History Center Austin Treasures Home Austin History Center Home
Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Hyde Park: Life on the Avenues Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Photo of arch leading into Hyde Park
Detail from PICA 02628

In developing Hyde Park, Shipe provided all the amenities necessary to create a desirable place to live. He built miles of graveled streets and took particular pride in maintaining them, claiming that "no city west of Boston can boast of finer drives."

By 1910 Hyde Park had become virtually a town in itself, with its own school, churches, and all manner of shops and services. Contributing to this sense of self-sufficiency was the prevailing rural lifestyle. Almost every household kept livestock and grew its own fruits and vegetables. Grocery stores did not stock these perishable items.

Photograph of tower light in Hyde Park Shipe arranged to have Austin's first tower light (moonlight tower) installed at 41st and Speedway. One hundred and fifty feet high with six lights each producing 2,000 candle power, it "cast a mellow glow" for hundreds of feet, allowing newspapers to be read at midnight.

Map of all Moonlight Tower locations
[PICA 02612] enlarge image
Photograph of Mr. Thorp with chickens "Boss" Thorp posed with the family's chickens about 1925. Almost all residents of Hyde Park kept chickens at that time. As Lewis Beck of 400 West 38th Street asked, "If you wanted eggs or fried chicken how else would you get them?"
[PICB 13333] enlarge image
Photograph of Herber Family seated on porch Shaded front porches helped Hyde Parkers keep cool in the summer and provided a place for socializing. The Herber family of 201 West 39th Street relaxes on their porch in 1925.
[PICB 13345] enlarge image
Photograph of Shipe residence in distance and streetcar entering scene on right Only the Shipe home is visible on what later became Avenue G. The streetcar is about to turn north off 40th Street at the eastern edge of its loop.
[PICA 02613] enlarge image
Photograph showing streetcar and tracks Streetcars entered the "loop" for Hyde Park at 40th Street, traveled east to Avenue G, then north to 43rd, west to Avenue B, finally turning south to 40th and back to Guadalupe. Following M.M. Shipe's completion of the system in 1891, the streetcars provided Hyde Park with transportation downtown for fifty years.
[PICA 02117] enlarge image
Photograph of open-air electric streetcar with Conductor McKinney and Motorman Campbell in front of car Conductor Joe McKinney and motorman Buddy Campbell operate a summer streetcar in 1912. Unlike the winter cars, which had windows, the summer cars were open to allow air to circulate.
[PICA 06812] enlarge image
Photograph showing sidewalk and street with hackberry trees alongside M.M. Shipe took particular pride in Hyde Park's streets. He kept them well maintained and even planted a double row of hackberries alongside to beautify them.
[PICA 02614] enlarge image
Photograph of Ellis in toy car riding on sidewalk Lois Ellis drives her kiddie car on the graveled sidewalk in front of her parents' café about 1925. Other shops in the background were part of Hyde Park's main business district on Guadalupe.
[PICB 13339] enlarge image
Photograph of Shipe Residence in background Monroe M. Shipe, who developed Hyde Park as Austin's first planned suburb, completed his home at 39th Street and Avenue G in 1902. He and his wife Adele often held parties in their backyard.
[PICH 05290] enlarge image
Photograph of woman and six children kneeling among plants in garden Neighborhood children crouch among the cabbage of Emmert's Garden at 4300 Avenue D.
[PICB 13342] enlarge image

home Recreation This page: Street Life Churches & Schools Business Elisabet Ney previous page