Many of our most popular items, as well as most of our current business sources, are available for browsing in the Reading Room. The remaining items are shelved in the closed stack areas and can be retrieved for you by one of our staff members. Our Reading Room staff are always ready and willing to help.
Because so many of our items are either delicate or rare, some special procedures are in place for our Reading Room visitors and researchers:
- All visitors sign in at the front desk.
- All personal property (books, notebooks, tablets, purses, etc.) must be placed in the lockers provided.
- Our materials stay in the Reading Room. Items may not be checked out.
- Use pencils, not pens, while in the Reading Room
Pencils and paper for note taking are provided.
- To help staff retrieve materials for you, please fill out one of the call slips available on the tables.
Our friendly staff will be glad to answer any questions you may have about using our materials. Also available in our Reading Room:
- Microform reader-printers
- Computers to access our CD-ROM collection
- Computers to access Austin History Center and Austin Public Library reference databases
- TV's and VCR's for viewing items from our tape collection
- Audiocassette and record players
Researchers use tables and
chairs from the old library.